Re: PDP-8

Jon,
You did miss something. Michael had commented that he has a couple of old
edm machines. At least one of which used a PDP-8 as a controller.
Quite different from emc, etc.

My Mazak V5 has a Fanuc 7M controller based on AMD's 2901 4 bit ALU.
Stacked 4 in a row. That probably makes it equivalent to a PDP-11 like the
11/23. With very carefully written assembly that can do quite a bit but
nothing like the processor required to to a good job on emc.

In the '80's I did a conversion of a PE-303 AA to digital...12 bit A/D
operating at 5 KHz or so off the photomulitplier amp. Signal averaged,
computed a 2nd order polynomial as a curve fit. All done in 4K (16 bit
words) of assembly by a very bright chemist I had working for me. All done
by hand assembling the code! Ran for 10 years of so without a failure.

Dave