Re: Base Task Period

Hassan S. Rabe wrote:

>WOW.....30 inches /second
>am sorry for the confusion ...it's 30 inches/minute

OK, that's more in line with smaller machine tools.  (But, there ARE
people doing 30 IPS on machine tools, but they need VERY rigid
mounting to the floor, and really high power servo drives.)

So, we can divide the earlier numbers by 60.  30 IPM = .5 IPS,
so we need 20,000 steps/inch X .5 = 10,000 steps/second.  This is
WELL within the range of software generated timing on modest Pentium
machines.  Your max velocity should be set to .5, acceleration should be
in the range of 2 - 5, depending on motors and drivers.  The period
parameter should probably be in the range of .000016 to .00002
(16 to 20 uS) for freqmod.  You should probably leave all the other
timing-related parameters at the default.  (I usually double the rate
of GUI updates - that's the CYCLE_TIME parameter in the [DISPLAY]
section of the .ini file.)