RE: Mounting NT network drives

Hi Kurtis,

Samba can be a bit finicky to get setup, but when it's done properly, it
works like a charm.

You need to be clear about which machine is which.

NT has 3 fences of security that have to be passed before getting access to
a file.

1 - You have to be able to logon to the computer. NT requires that the user
account that logs into the computer has priviledges to access that machine
over the network.

2 - NT has permissions on the share.

3 - NT with NTFS volumes has permissions on the file.

You have to get through all 3 of these layers to access the file.

You didn't mention if the "operator" uses the same login on the Linux box as
you do. If so, each user that wants to use SAMBA needs to setup and activate
their account (with SAMBA). This is because you need to tell SAMBA what the
password is for each user on the NT machine. SAMBA has no way to determine
what this password should be.

--
Dave Hylands
Vancouver, BC, Canada