Re: File rescue

Kurtis Martineau wrote:

>My motherboard failed on my emc pc, but my hard drive still has files that I
>want to recover.  Is there a way to connect the important hard drive to ide2
>on a different linux pc and copy the files over?
>
>I did this with RLinux and a windows box and then burned a cd.  Unfortunetly
>all the files copied with their permissions set to executable.

Well, it sounds like you already know a fair bit.  Boot the linux system
normally, and log in
as root.  mount the new hard drive with something like :

mount /dev/hdc5 /mnt/floppy

and then you can examine the file structure with commands like

ls -al /mnt/floppy

You could make a backup of the disk (if it will fit) with xcdroast or
some similar CD burning
program.

You could compress and backup files from the hard drive with something
like :

tar czvf backup.tgz /mnt/floppy/xx

You'd extract those files like this :

tar xzvf backup.tgz filenames