Re: EMC for windows

Paul,
Ask and ye shall receive:
http://www.fsmlabs.com/about/patent/

Quote:
The basic process for real-time in RTLinux is covered under US Patent No.
5,995,745. While "virtual machine" technology is as old as computer science and
real-time operating systems have been used to run non-real-time systems since
as far back as 1978 (AT&T MERT OS), the RTLinux patent describes a technique
with minimal changes and performance loss in the non-RT OS and assurance of
hard real-time response in the real-time kernel. The process described in the
patent uses a software emulation of the interrupt control hardware to prevent
the non-real-time OS from causing delays in real-time operations.
Unquote

The patent causes lots of consternation.  However they always insist it is to
protect themselves against the windows guys.  RTAI is moving away from the RTL
model, primarily to avoid the patent issues, may not work though.
Eric