Re: Firewire

Hi List,

Yes I am back.
Thanks fro reintroducing me Ray.
I'll tell a little more about myself and my work,

My name is Bert Eding, I am 42 years old and I am in the motion-business
since I was 25.  I have done software most of the time.
I have worked with several OSes over the years,
Intel's MTOS kernel, Microware's OS-9, IBM's OS/2, pSOS+ of ISI
and now Microsoft. So unfortunatly I have never really worked with Linux,
nor with any other POSIX compliant OS.

For about 7 Years I have worked on CNC controls, maybe some of You know
the MAHO milling machines from Germany. They have a very good name.
The controls where manugactured by Philips, later Grundig and now
Heidenhain.
I still have good contacts there.

After that I worked with Philips IAS (Industrial Automation Systems)
which became NYQUIST, the company I currently work for.
We control practically anything that moves, from cookie machines to welding
robots.
Unfortunally we are not in the CNC market, which is my hobby.
I have retrofitted my own Mill with the usage of a Nyquist
motion controller. See www.nyquist.com

Nyquist is really Microsoft minded (I am open for any OS).
The real time part of our system, which mainly consist of
fine-interpolators and PID (extended with all kinds of filters)
runs on a Texas DSP. Communication from PC to Motion Control Unit is over
firewire.
We have different types of systems, however the system
that is sold mostly is a  4 axes system. The strong point of Nyquist is
that we are able to control many axes which run all sample synchronous.
This is ideal e.g. in production lines, like in the paper industries, where
many axes must run synchronously.

Ray talks about a sampletime resolution of 0.125 us, probably my fault,
it should be 0.125 ms or 8 Khz, still perfect for servo systems.
Inportand is that there is little delay between sampling of the servo
position
and controller output. Therefore the controller software has this loop
order:
1) Latch measuring system input
2) Calculate new controller output from new setpoint that is precaculated.
3) Perform the output.
4) Calculate new setpoint position for next cycle.
Most of You will probably expect 4) just after 1), this would reduce the
phase margin which can be avoided by this reordering.

About Firewire, it just works and is rapidly getting accepted in industrial
world.
The current firewire uses electrical lines and has a bandwith upto 400
mbit/s.
The next generation is already under development and works optically with
a bandwith of 1.6 Gbit/s.

I think that for our hobby, Firewire is a good choice.
The ISA bus is not existing anymore.
All new printers have a USB connection, so probably next generation PC's
will not have the parallel port anymore.
And many motherboards nowadays do have Firewire.

I am a software GUY, so I can help with code snippets for
the FireWire communication. I would like to see hardware for
us hobbyists that should not cost much more than $100 (material) per
servo-axis.
I would like to see a measuring system interface (S00/S90) with inverse
signals for
cable brake detection, a 12 bit dac and some digital I/O.
By the way a 12 bit DAC is more then sufficient if the output is
Current/Torque
instead of velocity. It also saves a TACHO and makes the servo amplifier
cheaper. I have tested both system in my mill, now I don't use the tacho's
anymore,
I get practically the same results wheter I use my amplifiers in velocity
mode or
torque mode.

It seems that my web page is out at the moment, I will create a new one so
everyone
can see my equipment. I'll inform the list when ready.
Thats all for now.

Regards,
Bert Eding
The Netherlands