RE: EMC compatable computers

The only thing that I can see that it offers that a parallel port does not
is the ability to have your keyboard, mouse, printer, scanner, camera, mp3
player, CD-ROM, dvd, memory card reader and who knows what else all on the
same port.  Never mind that the speed of many of these devices is hurt or
that it may not make sense to have all these on one port.  Everyone is after
low cost (cheap) computers these days and the less ports the mother board
makers can put on one the less it costs.

What we need in the home shop CNC world is a lower cost PCI alternative to
the STG cards.  We have PPMC from PICO Systems and can use that with a PCI
parallel port card.  We also have one or two "black box" solutions such as
DeskCNC from IMserv or DeskWINNC from DESKAM.  There is also the G2002
project from Gecko that looks promising and uses USB to communicate with the
PC.  Now what would be nice IMHO is if EMC could support the controller
board from DeskCNC or DesKAM.  This would take a new module to replace
steppermod, freqmod or stgmod that spit out the proper commands via a serial
port to run the controller board.  This should not be too hard to do but the
controller board people are going to have to release the software interface
details, which I hope they will consider doing.

John Guenther
'Ye Olde Pen Maker'
Sterling, Virginia