Some comments about new project are welcome

Hi there to all.

My name is Filipe Tomaz, from Portugal.
If you want to know more about me, visit 'http://w3.ualg.pt/~ftomaz/'.

I have a very poor, my CNC machine, so poor that even don't work, and I
was thinking on build a new one, I followed lots of wrong paths. And
that is exacly what I don't want to do again, so some advices from some
one with experience is what I'm looking for.

In resume this is what I need:

X, Y control for 2D cutting
Z control for adjustment on the cutting tip OR it can be adjusted
manualy (without no contact with the working piece - plasma)
On/off of the cutting (plasma)
Different cutting speeds, of course
The table should be 3000mmx15000mm or about 10'x5'
The Y axis should be in max 40 Kg ( sorry no converter in momment and no
net )

Now comes the big issue - to chose something to work with, because an
error is so mutch painfull - and so mutch is avaiable. I've read a lot
in the cad cam group in yahoo, so I have some knowledge, but without
fixed ideas. Please comment the following setup, and add something that
I need if not listed:

SETUP 1:

Platform Linux:

CAD - QCAD
CAM - I have no ideia $
GCODE to CONTROLLERS - EMC
CONTROLLERS - Gecko drives (some model suitable to the motors)
SERVO MOTORS - About 400-500 oz in

I've installed sucessfully the real time patch, but for what I've read
is to dificult to manage the process for a beginner.

SETUP 2:

Platform Dos:

CAD - No ideia $
CAM - I have no ideia $
GCODE to CONTROLLERS - TurboCNC
CONTROLLERS - Gecko drives (some model suitable to the motors)
SERVO MOTORS - About 400-500 oz in

Probably easier ?

Some comments are apreciated. Thanks for all the advices.
Filipe Tomaz