Re: EMC and Red Hat 8.0

Hi Sivaraj

I may be jumping into this out of turn but I had several thoughts while
looking through your terminal file.

The first is that sim will run without any real time committments.  Any
of the run files that require real time will test out that part of the
system as well as the central EMC task and interpreter stuff so it is not
surprising that sim will go but emc.run will not.

There are some variable name changes that were built into the ini file
recently and it would appear that these are raising some warnings.

> starting EMC MOTION PROGRAM -- steppermod.o...Warning:
> plat/rtlinux_3_2/lib/steppermod.o symbol for parameter STG_BASE_ADDRESS
> not found.

STG_BASE_ADDRESS has largely been replaced with IO_BASE_ADDRESS but the
steppermod that you are using does not recognize that change.  I'd either
bring your version of steppermod forward, or your ini backwards.
Steppermod is just a bit of a problem with rtai still.  It is better than
it was but freqmod is a much better choice still.  If you need the
binning algorythm from steppermod you can specify a stepping type in the
ini file.  This variable is demonstrated in the stepper.ini in the
repository right now.

> Warning: ignoring MOTION_IO_ADDRESS=0x3BC, no such parameter in this
> module
> Module steppermod loaded, with warnings
> done

You could simply comment out this variable.

> starting EMC IO PROGRAM --  bridgeportio...done
> starting EMC TASK PROGRAM -- bridgeporttask...done
> running EMC DISPLAY PROGRAM -- tkemc...

I'd switch to minimillio and minimilltask for a first run because they
are less demanding with regard to e-stop and such.

> emctaskmain.cc 2458: can't initialize motion

I believe that this problem may be caused by a defective var file.  Look
in the one that you are using and see if 5220 is set to 1.0000.  This
variable tells the interpreter which of the ten coordinate systems to
start with.  If it is not set to 1, or if there are a bunch of text
comments in the file, copy stepper.var to overwrite the one you had used.

Hope this helps.

Ray