EMC and Red Hat 8.0

Hi Folks

Doing an install of RH8.0 at work over the last few days, I took the
opportunity to compile a virgin 2.4.18 kernel patched with rtai-24.1.10.

Whilst the installer appears quite slick in places (a couple of bugs in it,
but nothing fatal), quite a bit of bloat is obvious. Initial reactions to the
KDE3 desktop is mixed - Some of my favourite tools have changed or been lost.

The one major issue for anyone contemplating installing EMC is the compiler.
The default is gcc-3.2, unfortunately, it produces a disfunctional realtime
kernel and will not build EMC. An additional compiler is included for
backward compatability with RH7.x, but this is the much derided gcc-2.96.
Unlike earlier Red Hat releases, there is no egcs, so unless you want to
build your own compiler from gcc-2.95 sources, there is little chance of
installing EMC on RH 8.0.

Regards, Paul.