Re: control panel

Erie

Thanks for bringing this issue up again.  The keyboard is handy and works
great for testing, but the code and communication channel that it uses is
IMO a mess to use to control the motion of a big machine.  Painting the
<esc> key bright red and putting an estop label on it looks so cheap. <g>

I soldered together a matrix of buttons with diodes a couple of years ago
and fed them into a parport.  I picked up the byte using tkio and a big
switch proc in tickle.  The problem was that iosh was not able to handle
all of the NML stuff.  I've been talking with Paul about a better
solution for NML connectors than the combined emcsh and iosh that I used
back then.  Changes to the software aren't trivial but they can and will
be done.

There are also better solutions for digital IO than a spare parport.  I
just got a Measurement Computing (www.mccda1.com ) DIO-24 PCI card for
some tests here.  I am able to get Linux's /proc/pci to locate it for me
and can use iosh to read and write to it.  This means that PCI boards
should be able to be used in these kinds of projects.

There are a number of ISA cards that will do similar tasks.  One
interesting (inexpensive) set of boards can be had from
http://www.winfordeng.com/products/crd155b.html for less than $75.00 but
I haven't had a chance to try them yet.  This card uses a 25 pin parport
connector and they have an inexpensive screw terminal interface card with
some prototype area as well.  I don't know how much stuff you can get on
that card but with the 25 pin connector you should be able to use a
prototype breakout board like the little one from www.pmdx.com and it has
quite a bit of area for your components.

The MAT (puffinplc) project on sourceforge has a set of open drawings for
interface cards for a CIO/DIO-48 from Measurement Computing.  They say
that a 48 IO isolated system can be set up for less than $3.33 per point.
The printed circuit house that Curt used for the initial run had a 10
board discount.  If there was enough interest, I'd order a set of boards
and the components to assemble it and distribute them as a kit.

There's got to be a good "industrial" approach to IO that gets us beyond
the extra parport.

Ray