Re: BDI help

Ron Heaps wrote:

> I have been using an older version of the BDI install to run some
> equipment. For the most part it runs well, except for occasionally it
> locks up. I remembered somewhere in the list saying the newer version of
> BDI fixed this. I downloaded (cd image of ver 2.16) and installed it
> without a problem. I copied the generic files to a new set and changed the
> settings in the ini to be the same as the settings of my old ini file. If
> I launch the run file, I get the following.
>
> [root-at-localhost emc]# ./winder.run
> /winder.run: which:: No such file or directory
> The current real-time platform appears to be rtlinux_ but no directory
> exists for this platform.
> Either install EMC for this platform or create a symbolic link to an
> existing platform.
> [root-at-localhost emc]#
>
> As far as I know rtl is installed. I assumed BDI was supposed to set that
> all up for you. I did not just upgrade my old system but ran a clean
> install of BDI so I would not have any problems.

This is due to a difference in the kernel version number (which is also part
of the RT version number) that has changed.  The easiest fix may be to
put the old xxx.run file back.  But, there are some files that are made the
first
time EMC runs, that start with a period ".", so they don't show up in the
directory unless you do #ls -a         These have very long file names, with
several "."s in them, and are built out of the kernel & rt version numbers,
the
node name, IP address, etc.  If you delete these, then the .run file will ask

you for the correct kernel version number (enter the first name after
Linux version when you type more /proc/version
(it will be something like 2.4.8-34.1mdk)
and for real time I think you type more /proc/rtlinux (you can check the
exact
thing to type by typing ls /proc and you will get all the things that are
stored in
the kernel.  (actually, a few of them are directories of more things.....)

Once you do this once, the .run file will make those long-named files again,
and you won't have to help it find these things again.