Rambling hydraulic post that was: Multiple syncronized spindle question.

Hi Fred

If using hydraulic rams is an experiment, go for it and report back.  I
do know there is a fellow that has some plans to build a hexapod test
machine using hydraulic rams.  My short answer for a production machine
is I wouldn't.  Read on if you're interested in the details of why I say
this.

I've had some experience with four different kinds of hydraulic
controlled machines.  In each case, the control devices used were made
was quite a while ago.

The first was a Sheldon Lathe that used hydraulic motors to turn axis
ball screws and spindle.  This machine turned out great parts when it was
tuned properly.  The control was an AB-7360 that had analog I/O cards
made specifically for the hydraulic valves that Sheldon used.   When we
started up the machine in the morning we had to run the hydraulic pump
for a half hour to warm the fluid.  When fluid was up to temp, we loaded
a test program that ran until the positioning and palsey got within a
specified value.  At that point we loaded and ran a spindle speed program
that set adjustments to the analog out so the speed you got was near the
commanded speed.  Then we could cut threads and accurate compound motions.

All of this hydraulic startup noise usually happened about five in the
morning and drove the nearby residents nuts.  The operator had ear plugs
or a muffling headset.  About once a week they called me in to tweak on
the dozens of control points for each axis.  I Lost a lot of steady
income when that machine went away.

The second machines were Moog Hydrapoint mills.  These were easier to
maintain because there was very little tuning.  They used hydraulic rams
that moved each axis and probably come closer to what you are thinking
with the tracer.  These rams had a sliding steel plate attached with
little holes that air passed through.  The whole positioning thing was
done by balancing the air through this plate with the air through the
position read head which took its values from a big block of punched
tape.  When it worked it worked well.  I took the last one out of service
about four years ago.  It had run three shifts for 30 years.

The biggest problem it had was wear on the sliding internal parts but it
wasn't trying to use electrical signals to control hydraulic position.

I still service a bunch of Hardinge Automatics that use rams for cutting
but not positioning.  These just turn on and off valves that run the rams
back and forth.  Feedrate is done with rotary needle valves.  Positioning
is done with micro switches and long screws that are set to trip the next
action.  The machine is programmed by a drum switch with cams.

I also recently installed a lumber edger that used hydraulic
proportioning valves to drive the position of several saws.  This works
fairly well as long as the oil is clean and kept at constant temperature.
This system does not require the kind of accuracy that you are thinking
of.  Plus or minus a 64th (0.015625) keeps them happy.

In all of these, the fluid must be kept clean and near a constant
temperature/viscosity.  All of them require a person who is patient and
willing to fiddle to get the expected results.  I would guess that these
hydraulic machines require 10 to 20 times the maintenence that I put into
the average Mazak, even those from about the same age and use.

Hope this helps

Ray