Re: .ini documentation

On Tuesday 17 September 2002 21:04, Paul wrote:
> Hi Robin
>
> Just to add to Ray's comments..
>
> The answer to your original question would probably take the middle ground.
> It is a mix of "it's already done" and "still to do" with a bit of "help
> needed" thrown in.

More than happy to help ... You've covered almost all of it in the LyX verion
of the handobbok .. certainly as much as I had managed to discover anyway ..

> The LyX version of the Handbook started out as a rehash of the Ver. 2 at
> linuxcnc.org. Some new sections have been compiled, and others slightly
> reworked. A few areas are well out of date and need a complete rewrite, and
> the Index needs a substantial effort.

Well ... given that it appears to be at least as complete as the version on
the site, if not more so, I strongly suggest that you publish it on the the
site as soon as possible ...... "release early, release often"[1]

And finally .. can someone shed some light on what the relevant .ini file
params are for steppermod.o ... I've worked out that it is somehting to do
with P, InputScale, OutputScale, Units and possibly more

What I have is a 9m (9000mm) axis with a 200 step motor and 10:1
microstepping (2000 pulses/rev) that provides 200mm of movement per rev. (ie
0.1mm per pulse) ... yes I know its only a simple matter of division or
possibly multiplication .. but as yet I've found no clue as to divide what by
what ... and into which of the rather odd variables to poke the value.

I'm going to gear down the motors 1:5 as at my desired cutting speed of 8m a
minute, the motor is not even near optimum output, which is about 200 rpm ..

[1] I think "Leisure Suit Larry" might have said somehting similar long
before Linus did.

--
Robin Szemeti