Re: FileTransfers

Hi Kurtis,

I have a network link with cat5 cable (if you only have two computers you
can use a crossover cable - wiring diagrams are on the net - if more you
need a hub). On the Linux BDI/EMC box I run Samba and I can then 'see' the
linux box from a windows machine using 'network neighbourhood' and copy
files across (you need to read up on password encoding - easiest is to set
the windows box to use unencoded passwords which just needs a little tweak
in the registry, and if you use win2k or XP, you need to set up a user for
the linux box in windows and ensure that your drives are set for sharing).
>From the linux box I can 'smbmount //winbox/drive /mountpoint' and then work
with the windows drive as though it is on the linux box - i.e. again just
copy files across. This is far easier than ftp'ing things or setting up
network shares.

Best wishes,
Ian
--

Ian W. Wright
Sheffield, UK

The following added for automatic email harvesters!
abuse-at-worldatt.net abuse-at-prodigy.net abuse-at-bellsouth.net abuse-at-yahoo.com
UCE-at-FTC.GOV abuse-at-tesco.net abuse-at-freeserve.net