Re: [CAD_CAM_EDM_DRO] Re: Position counter stop updating....Still there....

On Sat, Sep 14, 2002 at 08:14:21AM -0400, Babar wrote:

> >Do you ever disable the 26LS31?  (which is what I
> know the
> > SN75174 as in this part of the world)
> > Better not to here.
>
> John, We already have connected the Active High Enable
> signals of 75174
> (pins 4 & 12) to Vcc=+5V
> please tell us what do u mean by disabling the 26LS31?

Hi Babar
If the 75174 ever gets disabled, then it can be susceptible to noise
when hi impedance.     You have it always enabled, so thats not the
problem here.
(in some applications, bidirectional or multidropped, enables are
 actively switched)

> >Is the pair terminated (ie ~100 ohms across it) at
> the load end
> >  well worth doing!
> >  (the pair is the two wires connecting the the A and
> /A output pins
> >   through to the far end)
>
> No we havent terminated the pair of each encoder
> outputs.
> And if we need to terminate it then the best place
> which i understand is at the inputs of receiver ic
> "26LS32" present on STG-II. meaning we
> will have to solder the resistors on STG-II??

the receiver input is the best place.  You could consider trying
maybe with just one channel to see if it helps.
In the plug would work about as well, but near the receiver end of the
cable.

> >Is the pair run as a twisted pair?
> >  helps, but depends on your wiring.
>
> The cable that is coming from encoders is a 13 core
> sheileded cable. out of which 8 wires are being used.
> the Sheild is connected to system earth + ground. this
> sheild is connected to ground only at single side.

thats the way to do it.

> Now this cable which has differential signals come to
> a board from where it goes to STG-II using simple
> ribbon cable (not shielded).
> This board also contains connections for DAC outputs
> of STG-II.

ribbon cables are pretty crummy - but a diff pair is remarkably noise
tolerant.  Shielding the cable is unlikely to help - coupling here
tends to be between adjascent wires.   I ripped a ribbon in half
(along the cable, stop near the plugs) and fixed an odd one once - but
that was lower level.

for mine - I'd try terminating both pairs for a single channel of
the encoder (I missed the start - this is a quadrature encoder).
I'd make sure both wires of the diff pair are connected end-end
(diff circuits work about the same as single ended when one wire is
 broken if not terminated.)
and if its still broken I'd start wondering about the software driver.

sorry this seems not to be helping
John