Re: Thoughts on EMC's design and implemenation

Adam Hunt wrote:

> I have been interested in motion control for as long as I can remember.  I
> stumbled upon EMC a year or so ago and have learned a lot from reading posts
> and source.
>
> I was currious if anyone had any thoughts about EMC's design and
> implementation.  EMC and supporting software has been coded in a wide range of languages
> (I thought Tcl was dead :)).  Why is that?  I know that C has been the
> typical language to write this kind of software in but C++ is getting more and
> more popular across the board.

Most of EMC IS in C++.  The real-time section is in plain C for some reason having to do
with older RT patch support.

I really don't think Tcl is dead at all.  I'm using a project that is very largely based on
it
at work.  And, Tcl, in this application, performs about 5x better than Java.