Re: Browser

On Mon, Jul 08, 2002 at 04:47:08AM -0400, Gene wrote:

> I have never entered a ip address, I don't know what it is. I will call
> tomorrow and find out. in My windows computer it is not used, It is
> assigned as you connect or something like that.

ppp can do that, will do it unless you invoke it telling it not to.
Linux sometimes but not always uses the result.
Seems it conflicts a bit with dhcp , which achieves the same thing on
a local LAN.
I hate modems, putting in a cable connection here was a great move...

do a
  ls /etc/ppp
as root, when the ppp connection is up.
If you see a resolv.conf file there, then ppp is creating the file,
but not where linux expects it.  Make linux use it by (as root):

  cd /etc
  rm resolv.conf
  ln -s ppp/resolv.conf .

and all should be happy.  I'm sure this is not the 'right' way, perhaps
Paul can suggest the correct fix.   there are a few too many ways of
configuring ppp.

john