Setting up EMC

Can I get the answers or where can I find the answers to the questions?
I am ready to take the next steps. I have Linux setup on a 266
computer, can get to the desk top of Linux, that has several EMC Icons
on it there is EMC?Generic, EMC-mini, EMC-run and EMC-sim. When I
click on EMC-sim I get a nice control panel with big old numbers on
it, from there I can click on estop, spindle on and open file. I can
make the numbers move. The rest of the EMC--- Icons do nothing. Some
more of the things that I can do is open in root, get to a file
manager click on open file. Then on to ?usr?, then ?local?, then ?EMC?
then there is all of the EMC files that I know that I need to make
some changes to, (here it is). How and which ones do I make changes to.

I have CNC-Pro on another computer that I want to replace with EMC; I
have the setting from cnc-pro. They are X 4000 steps per inch, Y 4000
steps per inch, Z 4000 steps per inch, max velocity inch per minuets
X-75, Y-75, Z?30, Max Acceleration foot per second squared 8.3333. I
have fast jog, X-10, Y-10, Z-8, slow jog X-5, Y-5, Z-4 then debounce
distance in all axis?s .020 per inch.

The only thing here that is set in stone is the step per inch.

This is going to run a bench top like mill that I have been working on
for a long time. The way it is set up now is with stepper motors, I
have put linear encoders on the mill so after I get it running in
steppermode I am planning on changing it to use the encoders.

I know that I have asked a lot with this message but it is info that I
need to make this project work and the people on this site have been
very helpful.
Thank you for all your time.
Terry Twombly
ttwombly-at-cyonisp.net