Re: Jog wheel

> A wise suggestion indeed. My vote would be for :-
> http://www.hut.fi/~then/mytexts/mouse.html
>
> There is plenty of info available on using the protocol both on the
> transmitting end as well as the receiving end.
>
> Regards, Paul.

I was just about to suggest this myself, then I found yours
with link to a good info source and all. Thanks.

One really big advantage is that serial mice have been free
for some time now. They get thrown out because new machines
don't use them, or because of a broken tail. Most of them are
re-useable if you just chop off 10cm or so at the mouse end and
reconnect. New serial mice are still easy to find, they are dual-
interface and comes with a converter "dongle". In Norway they
cost less than a glass of beer.

And even if some would roll their own using PIC, AVR or whatever,
there is a benefit in using a known and tested protocol.
The connections for the rotary encoder components in a mouse
can be extended inside a box, so it is fairly easy to change the mechanics
into something more resembling a set of handwheels.

The only disadvantage I can think of is that BDI might find this hardware
before the real-mouse(Tm) and confuse matters. No problem, just wait
connecting it until after installing.

Einar
(LinuxCNC users in Norway, please drop me a note at: einar(monkey-tail)ade.no)