From: xfesty <xfesty-at-computeraddictions.com.au>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 01:03:57 +1000
To: Ray Henry <rehenry-at-up.net>
Subject: Re: EMC/RTLinux running under Debian.

G'day.

Heh, sorry, I've been completely inactive lately regarding EMC:  I managed
to get it running beautifully on a Debian Potato (2.2) machine a few weeks
ago, and I wrote up a fair bit of documentation on how I achieved this; off
memory, I made some .deb files as well, with dependencies for things like
tcl-dev etc...  On a fresh Debian install, it seemed to go on fine.  (I did
need to grab one woody package though that wasn't in potato's apt sources -
tclx8.2-dev I think.  Can't remember).

However, I haven't been home the past ~2 weeks - I've been ~1000km away on
work at Sydney - I'm from Adelaide.  (In Australia for you non-Aussies)

The guy who got me involved with this is also on the list - "Illya".  I used
to work for him a while ago, we're reasonably good friends and I still do
stuff occasionally for him.  He's been running EMC on the Debian box and
says its running great - BDI had a few issues which this doesn't, and its
running a million times faster.

I'm home in about a week - first thing I plan to do is to fix up the
documentation, get some packages happening, and submit them to who needs
them, and then get it all running on woody (2.4).

I plan to then get an alternative to the BDI up and cranking.  If all goes
well, it should be done within 2 weeks or so.  Unfortunately I haven't got
any of this stuff with me at the moment.  I created a basic CD which would
restore an image to the hard drive, then on startup there was an init script
that would run things to configure the network card/x windows - but this was
only a temporary crude solution.

Hope this is okay... Not sure how soon you were going to print the handbook
:(  I wrote some extensive documentation on general compile
problems+solutions as well, which may be of interest.. But again, you
probably wont be able to get it for another fortnight or so.

- Ryan

(You think its a good idea FW:'ing this email to the list, so others know?)

On 5/6/02 12:10 AM, "Ray Henry" <rehenry-at-up.net> spoke these words:

------ End of Forwarded Message