Re: Jog wheel

Patrick,

    I have given some thought to a similar "handheld" box, although I
planned to use encoders for each axis of the machine.  Switches would change
the jog increments .0002, .02, .2 etc..  The "box" could have the jog wheels
in positions representative of a manual machine for intuitive use.  For
example, on my knee type vertical mill I was thinking of putting X on the
right side, Y in front, and Z on top.  You could also include a spring
centered toggle switch on each face for rapid jogging.  A pushbutton "dead
man" switch might be a good idea to only enable the switches and hand wheels
if you are holding the box.
    I know that industrial encoders (pulse generators) with hand wheels are
fairly expensive, but in my case I managed to pull several from dead
controls found in a scrap yard over the past year or so.  I now have three
(almost) alike, so the box won't look like the fugitive from the scrap heap
that it really is.  The only drawback I see is their physical size for
mounting into a handy size box.  I have not implemented this yet, but I plan
to.  I am using a Galil servo board which has auxiliary encoder inputs for
each axis, so that's not a problem.  This is a machine I started to retrofit
before I found the EMC project, but I plan to use EMC for the next one - a
24 x 72 LeBlond lathe.

Regards,
Steve