Re: Jog wheel

sorta like this?
http://www.sutter.com/mp285.html

it would be good as an electronic/'manual' control with DRO
but if your going to run it from the PC anyway why not just go for full CNC?
most of the usual 'offhand' cuts you would do manually can be done just about
as well with a single axis jog function and any move of 2 or more axes can be
done in MDI with a few lines of code
the main use for the jog control is just to touch off your tools and fixtures
so you would almost never use a multi-axis jog control even on those
machines that have it (most don't)

I'm not  saying its a bad idea if it suits the way you like to work
but I think you would use it less and less as you get more comfortable
with G-code and MDI
the usual set of jog controls is a group of +/- buttons for each axis
with an axis and  increment select knob or button(s)
but just a single encoder handwheel to switch between the axes
so its not really all that different from the full knob-box idea
and EMC already has everything except the handwheel

 I would stay away from using the game ports "analog" inputs
they were marginal at best even back in the early 80's when they were
designed and unless you made a realtime task to read them the values
would be unreliable under EMCs realtime schedule

some of the newer all digital game pads might work
they act kinda like a mouse with a built in microcontroler to read the
buttons and pots then send the data in serial format over the game ports
digital input pins but you would probably need different software for each
brand of controler

Brian