Re: Alternative IO cards

Peter,

> Printer sharing devices are not the way to go - REAL TIME - the farther the
> device is from the computer (network connections and such) the lees real
> time the control gets. This is why there are a number of PCI and ISA cards
> out there for motion control. Real time control requires that the software
> be garranteed access to the processor and that the real time program has
> direct control over its hardware.

Thanks.  I knew I was missing something simple.  The issue is that the
device wouldn't be adequately responsive, due to the protocol delays, and
the buffer (some of these units have a 1MB+ buffer).  Even though I was
thinking about stepper motors, where you 'know' where the cutter head is,
if the program breaks, and the cutter head moves to a stop, you'll be too
likely to break something.

				Peter Ashford