Re: Alternative IO cards

Hi Paul

yes - thats the intel/microsoft published goals to make
boxes cheaper / better.  6 PCI slots seems common.

serial and parallel can be reinstated externally with usb adapters.
As long as the SW can cope with the drivers.
I note too that usb parallel cables (ie a parallel port at the end of
a usb interface) seem to not hold data valid.  I have not yet checked
to see if s simple latch (on strb) fixes this for the data port.
Shall do soon. need it for my current PIC programmer.

I'm sure that clever motor control boards for PCI will be/continue to
be available, but I'd like to see this complemented with lower cost
stuff for hobby machines like mine. Probably USB based.

I'll design and test the hardware but I'd need software assistance
bolting the drivers to EMC.   Should be a candidate for Fred's
proposed site.

Just slowly starting to get up to speed with options for the
USB side of things.

Also - thought strikes me that modules like freqmod may suffer.
Due to the delays in software layers between the rt module and the port pin.
One solution would be to offload much of the real time behaviour to
the external interface.

Any thoughts as to how much to aim for here?

regards, john