Re: EMC/RTLinux running under Debian.

Hi Ryan

apt-get is an interesting idea that could solve problems of massive
iso downloads for those on modems.

several random thoughts
Most people on this list appear to post from windows computers.
which suggests to me that the emc machine might not have net
access, or not when running linux.  which would tend to break
apt-get. and lean those folk towards a CD install.

but using apt-get to allow people to use a standard distro cd
and then emc-ify it sounds good.

redhat has things like red carpet that might be capable of doing the
same thing.  I've used redhat for yonks, with icewm. KDE feels slow.

On Wed, May 15, 2002 at 11:47:13PM -0400, Ryan Verner wrote:

> Hey there.
>
> I'm in the middle of installing Debian Potato (2.2r3) for a EMC/RTLinux
> machine.  The only other preinstalled linux installation I've seen for this
> was the "BDI Linux" distrib, based off Redhat, and I can't say I was too
> impressed - its amazingly slow.

didn't woody just master?

> I'm not a fan of Redhat, and running KDE _really_ slows things down.  I'm
> planning on running a minimal system, XFree86-4, kernel 2.4.xx (if RTLinux
> patches exist; I haven't looked into this yet), and a lean and fast
> windowmanager like blackbox.  The installation would probably have things
> like auto-login by the time I'm finished configuring it, to make it nice and
> easy for people.  I'll be compiling EMC from CVS.

I think recent 2.4 kernels need RTAI not RtLinux
regards, john