Re: new

AJ

Hi and welcome to the EMC users list.  Yes a servo system can easily be
positioned to 0.1 mm.  You will want to use encoders that are a bit more
accurate than that.  Some suggest at least four times the accuracy that you
wish to achieve.  The EMC software would have no major problem with that
level of accuracy.  The biggest problem that you will face is how to drive
the axes and mount an encoder.

Will you need a line follower like you have with the existing table or can
your shapes all be done with cad or hand written g-code?  I have the rough
makings of a shape selection script for EMC.  It works a bit like the Linde
systems that are popular around here.  Select a shape, enter dimensions,
orient, repeat and it creates the g-code to produce the parts.  Burn
through can be handled with a dwell.

There is a user that built one of these tables that needed instant on for
his cutting device.  The EMC code was hacked to provide this signal through
the parallel port.  If you do not need instant on, you can easily use the
spindle on signal or one of the coolant signals.

Hope this helps

Ray