new

hello,

I have a question on building a cnc-controlled flame/plasma based cutting
machine. We have a machine with plasma and flame torches which is driven by
servo-motors. It also has an eye with which it can follow a black linedrawing
on white paper. My dad knows a lot about electronics, and I am familiar in
configuring computers (clusters, application-servers, etc.). I am also
familiar with most CAD systems, both 2d and 3d.

I think we can manage it to build such a machine with the documents we have on
cnc, and the EMC-software (ofcourse we need to feed it with nc-code, but
that's not such a big problem). What we would like to know is, is it possible
to build a EMC-machine that's controlling servomotors and has something like
feedback from the X and Y axis about posistion. Or are servomotors accurate
enough to reach a 0.1 mm accuracy??? We couldn't find a document which
describe's the use of encoders to give the exact position of the X or Y axis.

It might be a stupid question, but I had to ask it in order to narrow the
search area and read area.

thanks in advance
AJ Hettema