Re: EMC Cookbook

Dan Falck wrote:

<snip>

I cut away some of the stuff you mentioned, because I just sent something about the same
thing, and I subroutine stuff is one thing certainly would be nice, - or a must.

Tell us more about these older TCL/Tk programs that you have mentioned.

First of all,  - you could check out Vogl/Vogle.  I have some links at the bottom of this page.
Vogle is short for - " Very Ordinary Graphics Library"  that is made to look like  "Iris" .

Implementation milestones:
--------------------------

- vogl-1.7: Z-buffering, Gouraud interpolation and RGB mode,
        reading and writing pixels
- vogl-1.8: + lighting effects, depth cueing
- vogl-1.9: + texturing
- vogl-2.0: + nurbs

The TclVogle is a  tcl binding to the public domain  vogle C library which was a GL-ish type
device independent graphics library that you could write software "drivers" for.

I had forgotten where I found it, but here is a link I just found now:

 http://web.cs.ualberta.ca/~wade/HyperTcl/HyperTcl/Tcl_extensions.html#tclvogle

Note:  It turned out that these links did not work, and I have asked the administrator if he know where to find these now.
I did not know about the vogleWish, else I would not have known that this links did not work.
But there should be other places to find them.

It is still in use, -  for a weather forecast system for the swedish air force, but Mike told me that  a lot of the code he did for that was not released to the outside world for reasons he could not go into. He also admitted that the code I got, was
not packaged up nicely,  and I will include the contents of our last discussion:

>  I really can't help you for free i'm afraid. I am already
> pretty booked up as a consultant. the code was released quite a while
> ago "as-is" so it's not surprising that it does compile out of the box.

> however, it probably would not take too much work to get it going
> with the latest version of tcl/tk and linux  but i'd have to charge
> you for it as it would take away from  work i'm already getting
>paid for.

> if you have an interest in doing that let me know.

> I'll certainly understand if you don't want to take me up
> the offer though.

-mike

If anyone dare contact him on this -  ( I had a hard time to find him :) His email address is   Mike Hoegeman <hmail-at-gte.net>

But  I would like someone to step forward and tell if they know Vogle, and if this is really a way to tackle the issue.
You do have a lot of other libraries, Mesa, etc.  But I thought that tclVogle could be a very nice thing, as I think a lot more
could make some easy and simple programs with it.  My feeling is that many could do some nice things with this, without
having large programming skills.

That is about what I know about it,  except the things I have worked on getting this to compile under linux and a newer
tcl/tk version.  The  vogleWish could indicate that someone have done just that. ( more up to date version )

Keep me posted if anyone has something to say to this.

best wishes

//ARNE

Vogl:

 http://heplibw3.slac.stanford.edu/grp/eg/minos/software/vines/vogl