Re: EMC Cookbook

Ray Henry wrote:

>  I'm jealous of Matt's proximity to EMC Mecca.  NIST is
> awesome!

Well,  I wonder if they have a lawn outside, - I would like to camp !

> I think it was Arne who referred to EMC as this "gift."

In what closet did they hide Tom Kramer - I think his homepage is Mecca :)

> Sure NIST gets
> some feedback from our use of it and they make changes at the code level
> based on some of what we find, but I don't think that's central to their
> mission or their vision.

1:
This is my reason for intruding.  It would have been very nice if Fred et al
could say a few words what their
agenda is.   I do understand that there might be a lot they can't tell us,
but I have been worried for a long time
as I once read some initial stuff about EMC, - that this project one day soon
should close down.
( The initial stuff, showed a planned schedule,  and I think they already have
past the due date. )

2:
(  I tried to find it, but I had an old link to the FTP site, and now I get
(   WARNING**This is a United States (NIST) computer system, which may be
accessed and   )
(    used only for official Government business by authorized
personnel.                                           )
(  - I might have to look up my dictionary - am I authorized - or am
I trespassing ?                         )
(   I just remember that they was going to put up a firewall, or move the web
site                             )

> So?  Let's take on the task of writing, drawing, and photographing a
> comprehensive cookbook to EMC.

Jon has done a lot of work, - but I do think there could be much more added
regarding EMC etc.  But it is a lot of work,
and it better be correct (more work).  I don't know where a discussion of what
should be in such a "Cookbook" should be
held.  The CAD_CAM_DRO_EDM is a mixed group,  and I see that someone is not so
keen on Linux stuff, and EMC.
( I graduated with the norwegian language, - I am not even sure if my grammar
and spelling is correct )  The point
is - things need to be touched up, look nice, be clear and understandable.
Other than that,  - I think it is a nice thing.

I tried to pass over the information I had on the 486 build, other than that I
don't have much to add at the moment. Have
no mill or machine running yet.

//ARNE