Re: a hangup

Fred,

I'm still using the 17-Feb-1999 version of EMC.  I haven't had any repeats of
the problems I reported a few weeks ago, and I've been drilling holes like
crazy.  I did have one hangup, however.  I had just run a program to completion,
and then switched to another window to edit the file.  I went back to the xemc
window, and while I had the mouse in hand, grabbed the window and
repositioned it a little to better locate it on the screen.  After that, it lost
communication with emctask (?) I think.  I could change the jog rate,
and select the X, Y or Z displays with the mouse (or xyz keys) and
do a few other things, but I couldn't do F1 to estop, or F3-F5 to set
the mode, or do any moves or MDI commands.  It was stuck in Auto.
I could see that the servo system was still holding position.  I could
get the diagnostics box up, and the heartbeats (all of them) were
frozen.  The only thing I could do was <End> out of xemc, and go
back in.  (If I forced the machine off the held position, it did not show
up in the displays, when it said it was displaying actual position.)
When I got back to the xterm window that started the xemc script,
I didn't see the stuff it usually displays when it sends the kill signals
to emctask and emcio.  But it must have done something, because
the servo amps shut down, and the RT module exited, only after
I confirmed the end key.

I don't know if this info will help you in any way to track this down,
or if it is even an EMC problem, rather than an X problem.