Re: embedded emc and GPL

Hi Markus

The GPL license does not in any way restrict a commercial use of GPL'd
software. If you read the terms, it quite clearly states that you are free to
modify and redistribute any derived works for any fee - As long as you give
the customer access to the source code. The one thing you may not do is claim
copyright or change the terms of the license.
EMC it's self (as opposed to some of the G-code files and Tcl/Tk routines) is
not subject to copyrights or GPL licenses. According to emails from June/July
2000, you may do as you please with the sources. Hack, modify, port to other
platforms, etc, etc. The ONLY restiction is that you may not claim copyright
yourself.

Public domain software on the other hand often has restrictions attached.
Either the sources are not available, or some limits are placed on it's use.
More often than not, each piece of PD software had to be examined for the
exact terms of the license.

Regards, Paul