Re: embedded emc and GPL

Hi Pete,

I'm afraid I didn't really understand what your original question was, but
as far as the GPL is concerned, I see two "problems" with using it:

1. Since the GPL includes a copyright claim, it's not that easy to change
license from public domain to GPL. Furthermore, GPL places some restrictions
on code (re-)use, and IMHO that would not comply with the original public
domain style.

2. The big "problem" with the GPL is, that it limits commercial use by
explicitely stating, that a software derived from a GPLed software must be
GPLed, too. GPL-enthusiasts take that "derived work" term very seriously, it
holds, even if the amount of GPL code used is very small compared to the
size of the "derived" program. So, consider, EMC would be GPL. If you only
take a few lines from the original code (f.e. the G-Code interpreter) and
build it into your own software, you had to make your whole software GPL,
too. One may find that good or bad (Personally, I find this policy just as
extreme as software patents, in a certain sense). But I'm sure that this
would scare many potential EMC users and resellers.

Best regards

Markus