RE: BDI 2.11 Install problem, help please.

Chris,
The statement was "Just one warning. Windows can screw up downloaded
regular files pretty
bad, but if they are compressed or tarred you should be o.k. I turned
grey and bald
In one week because I used windows to get the sourcefiles."

This comes across as Windows bashing, perhaps it was not intended as
such, but it does. I spend a significant portion of my days and nights
listening to Windows bashing from people who don't have a clue as to
what or why things work, but they hear other people doing it so it "must
be cool" - you are probably not in that camp, and it probably is just a
bad interpretation on my part. But, you, like me in my initial response,
did not explain what the true problem is, which is clearly not a Windows
problem any more than it is a Linux problem.

I use both OS a lot, down to writing device drivers - and Windows is
years ahead of Linux - as it should be, they are after all, paid
developers. When Windows releases with bugs it is a calculated business
decision, and most people don't get that. For free, Linux is an
incredible operating system, but to claim it is less buggy or better
designed as a generality is wrong. There are too many pieces to
generalize that way - Pick any piece of Linux and I can find a piece of
Windows more stable - and vice versa. One only has to spend the last 30
days on list to hear of nightmares getting EMC up and running, but
everyone eventually succeeds - learns a lot in the process, and has a
pretty neat CNC system for free - that is what makes Linux so good, not
bug v. bug or feature v. feature, it's community and fun - and we can
live without the uninformed bashers.

Again I apologize for misinterpreting your comment as bashing if that
was not the intention.

Mike Partain