How does this stepper speed sound???

Hello all,

OK, now that I have emc running my homemade mini-mill with steppermod,
I'm wondering how much (more) effort I should put into trying to get
freqmod going.  As a number of others seem to have done, I've tried many
combinations of PID values to no avail.  (following errors abound)
Here's the setup and the results I'm getting now:

BDI 2.0
Pentium III 333MHz/128 Mb RAM
23 Frame, 80-100 (or so) oz-in. motors  (a guess, they're not
labelled!!)
1.0 Amp drive current to motors

I'm currently able to move the table (in X,Y or Z) at a maximum of 40
inches/min.
Any faster and things get squirrelly quick.

As a complete CNC novice I have no idea if this speed is typical or if I
should expect better!   Somewhere in the deep recesses of my brain I
seem to recall seeing a small cnc machine moving a whole lot faster than
this.   By the way, I am running a driver made by the Superior Electric
Co. which can deliver a maximum of  2A to the motors. (It's set at 1A
max now, my guess as to the capacity of the motors.  They get pretty
warm after a bit of use...)

So, what do you think?  Will freqmod give me more speed?  Smoother
motion?  Or should I just go with what I have so far?   If anyone has a
similar setup and has freqmod running their steppers, could you please
clue me in to your PID settings?
(Please don't all email at one time!!!!!)

thanks,
Patrick

--
..