Re: Question on error message -

On Thu, 2002-02-14 at 22:42, Pete Cook wrote:

For this error

 |starting EMC MOTION PROGRAM -- steppermod.o...Warning:
> plat/rtlinux_3_1/lib/steppermod.o symbol for parameter |STG_BASE_ADDRESS not
> found
> |can't install it

There are really three things that need to be
fixed.

Remove STG_BASE_ADDRESS from stepper.ini.

(Stepper systems don't use the ServoToGo card so there's no good reason
to set a base address for one.)

We should probably also remove the line

MODULE_PARM(STG_BASE_ADDRESS, "h");

from about line 3269 of emcstepmot.c

generic.run should have not tried to pass the STG_BASE_ADDRESS parameter
on to steppermod.o even if it is in stepper.ini. On my system that's the
way it seems to work. So even with those two wasted parameters it still
runs. You can touch the file ~/.debug_scripts and get a lot more info on
the commands generic.run is running perhaps you can look at  the
commands just before the insmod and figure out what went wrong.

These errors

shmem.cc 496: Shared memory buffers spindleSts and  may conflict.
> (key=1007(0x3EF))

Can be caused by another program using the shared memory buffers that
EMC wants to use but this is very rare.

It can be caused by old buffers left from a previous run of emc.
You can check for this by running the command "ipcs" to see what buffers
are in use and use ipcrm to clear them. Although the script generic.run
tries to do this for you anyway.

It can also be caused for certain combinations of libc and the linux
kernel the function that determines who created a certain shared memory
buffer doesn't work, which means you will very frequently get this
error. There is nothing you can do but just ignore it on these systems.
Fortunately this shouldn't prevent the system from running.

 |iniaxis.cc 466: bad return from emcAxisSetGains

These errors are related to the fact that the task level can't talk to
the motion level. This isn't surprising since the motion level never
started due to the previous problem with the STG_BASE_ADDRESS parameter.