Re: embedded emc

Hey again Scot

yep this is another project I'm fiddling with ,I just got a 2.4.17+rtai kernel
compiled with support for some of the embedded filesystems built in
(cramfs ,ramfs ,devfs ,autofs and jffs2)
to use on a compact flash card to IDE disk adapter board I picked up
there are also some drivers for memory technology devices like the
'disk-on-chip' modules from sandisk in the 2.4.x kernels

documentation for doing embeded system work with Linux is spread
pretty thin and wide right now but I think I've got enough to work with
(I hope..)
I'll be using a minimal set of utilitys ,stripping un-needed symbols out
of the standard libraries adding tinyX with a lightweight window manager
and EMC then compressing the whole thing and running out of ram partitions
with a small writable partition on flash for user files and configuration
I'm aiming to run on a 16Mb compact flash but I'd still be happy if it takes
a 32Mb card
it will also be powerfail safe so there will be no need for the usual
Linux shutdown procedure and I've got it booting with no login prompt
it should look alot like a 'shop floor' control OS before too long

Brian