RE: Freqmod problems

we have the remains of one (the old cybermation control) sitting in the back
of our building. I don't miss not being involved in trying to keep one of
those running. The y-axis sounds kind of like and old Heath machine (they
were one of several absorbed by esab)

Our plasma machines routinely run at cut speeds of 500 to 300 IPM with rapid
moves at 600 IPM (we have played with 1200 ipm but it doesn't make
production all that much faster - you still have to accelerate and
decelerate..) We have 1500 watt drives on each end and the y-axis and we
still have to careful of the tuning to keep the cut quality where customers
want it.

To stiffen your machine I would recommend putting a second drive on the
other end of the X axis and connect the stepper driver in parallel with the
existing X drive. As long as you are running steppers that should cause no
problem as long as both ends can keep up. That may also help reduce
following errors it would take a lot of the flex out of the beam and rail
system. Also check out the linears - when they are new, clean and tight they
work great, but a bit (or a lot) of wear and they can really bog down. They
can be hard to keep clean and the bearings will tend to slide rather than
roll. We use an 8" hardened wheel to support the machine and ball bearings
on either side of the master rail (rail is rectangular) and then run a piece
of 1/4" brass plate on top of the rail with a low pressure air stream to
help blow the dirt away. Plasma & Oxy/fuel present some of the same problems
that wood & plastic dust present - it gets everywhere, put a little pressure
on it and it will stick and stay put unless moving would cause more problems
and then it will migrate to the place where it can cause the most problem.
Wood dust though can burn, and does attract moisture helping things rust.