RE: regarding PCI/ISA hardware.

The ISA bus is cheap - easy to interface with (i think a breadboard card can
still be had for less than $20) and doesn't require any special
engineering - and most of the older motheroards uesed it. While it might be
nice to use the latest whiz-bang computer for EMC, any design that will give
good performance on the older hardware may well be the better design. I am
using a comercial unit that required a hardware speedup because of very poor
system design - it uses up to 60% of the processor time for motion control.
Turns out you can break  it rather easily...

Pete