Re: "Y" axis problem

Your machine sounds like a variant of the plasma& oxyfuel machines that I
work on for a living -

On some of the older machines they got along fine with rather low encoder
counts - the best they could do at the time was a 8 millisecond(or longer)
refresh on the servo loop. For a faster servo loop you need to get a few
counts in there or you don't generate enough error to correct for. If you
could run the encoder off the motor, or even gear it faster than the motor
(ore counts in less time) you will have a more responsive system. Also look
at how you tuned the outputs - if you have only the proportional gain set
the control will seem like a spring - it only responds to error by
increasing the output voltage until the error causes some output voltage and
the axis stabilzes at some torque output. The integral and derivative work
to correct the out of position by offsetting the output voltage based on
errors over time. Increasing the encoder counts gives the controller
something to respond to.

Pete