Re: Slack Install -

Pete

the latest gcc in the Slackware current tree is gcc-3.0.3 and is not
recomended just yet ,so I'm sticking with the one from Slack-8

there is no ONE file from EMC ,you need to do a CVS download to
get ALL the files in the source tree at once

I noticed there have been some additions in the last week or so and I had to
edit my script to get the documentation as well

heres what you do ,its easy
boot linux
get connected to the net
and run this script from /usr/local/nist

------------cut & save as /usr/local/nist/cvs-update-----------------
#! /bin/bash
echo " just hit enter when prompted for a password "
cvs -d:pserver:anonymous-at-cvs.EMC.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/emc login
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous-at-cvs.EMC.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/emc co -P \
emc rcslib documents
--------------end of cvs-update--------------------------------

that will get the latest version of all the files you will need and the
next time you run it it will update any files that have changed from
the last time you downloaded them

you may want to copy the whole /usr/local/nist directory to
a new name like nist-Feb-3-2002 to prevent overwriting what you
already have

downloading the code will not cause any problems with the installed bins
but compiling again will delete and replace anything in the plat/../bin and
plat/../lib directories

on the next build I will be moving the installation directory to /opt/nist
to prevent this and to bring the package more in line with the Filesystem
Hierarchy Standard ,and I'll add some startup scripts in /usr/local/bin
so they will be in the default path (and many more changes/cleanups)

Brian