Re: Newby question about Home switches pin assignment

Actually the the limit switches depend more on the behavior of the drives
than the motion controller - Some servo drives have 2 inputs for limit
switches - one for each direction - means the machine can run onto it's
limit and then stop moving in thatdirection - jog the other way and drive
off it. Some servo drives have no limit switch inputs so the control has to
do all the limit switch logic. EIther way it is nice for the control to know
when a limit has been reached so some procedure can be folowed to handle
that condition - Retract the Z axis and stop, cntinue on and mess up the
workpiece, halt in position, or whatever.

Homing switches are nice if you have an input for each - all axis could be
homed at the same time - but with only one input you can homr one axis at a
time - as long as no axis is on a home switch at the time - then there must
be some logic to jog all axis away from the home switches untl the switches
are all in the correct state and then home all axis. During normal operation
the homing switches are meaningless - you just ignore them.