Re: EMC documents on SourceForge

On Sun, Jan 20, 2002 at 12:37:57PM -0500, Ray wrote:

> List
>
> We will be migrating the handbook to SourceForge and making a repository of
> the files.
>
> At this time, we think that the base files for it will be written and edited
> using Lyx with the DocBook format.
>
> Lyx is included in most linux distributions.  I've asked Paul to look into
> putting it into the BDI along with a screen grab program.  So that anyone
> using that distro will have the tools needed to write documentation.

while it does not ship with Redhat (the ones I have anyway) its
trivial to drop in the three rpm's.  Now its one of the first things
added for me.

> For those using MS-Windows there is a Lyx distribution available.  Read all
> about it at
>
> http://www.fh-hannover.de/mbau/tim/hentschel/lyx/index.htm#Files
>
> Comments?

I think this is a good move.

I've been using lyx for a few months now for all my documents. I
like finally being able to link postscript circuits and code
listings into a technical document, get indexes that align, a
final doc that updates when the code changes automatically,
and export to standard formats.

only thing that takes a little getting used to is if you want to
manually insert whitespace.  thats hard!  don't do it.

I have only used it under linux though.

john