Re: Probing

Pete Cook wrote:

> Has anyone thought of a non-contact probe - One of the infrared type prox
> switches might work - they bounce a signal off the surface and trip at some
> distance from the surface - might have to be close to perpendicular for the
> best results - Might be a bit more pricy but somewhat harder to smash...

These analog sensors are not too expensive:
Inexpensive: $15, cheaper in packs of four
Simple to Use
Small (3 x 1.5 x 1.4 cm)
Connects directly to any microcontroller with A/D
Detection range: 10 cm to 80 cm (4" to 31")
Low microprocessor overhead (uses only 1 I/O line and a few
                       lines of code)
Probably a great use for the analog input of a
Scenix SX28 microcontroller!

http://www.hvwtech.com/sensors.htm

They also have digital output ones for $25, but
the analog ones would be better because of the
continuous output (I think for the digital ones
you'd have to stop, take a reading, read in the
serial stream, and then go again) leading to
much (100 times?) faster data aquisition using the
analog version.

I am considering them to do a pre-pass scan
in order to have the computer plan a detailed
run with a physical touch probe.

Regarding probe software, I was giving away C
code last week to convert from a 'point grid'
(ie a regular X*Y matrix of Z elevations) to
STL (which of course can be converted to GCode
by a number of programs including Millwizard and
Deskproto).  It has a limit of several hundred
million points, so that should keep your digitizers
humming for a long long time!

If you want the code (compilable for Linux, and
also I've got an .exe for Windoze), please email
me offline (from my website), and I'll email you
a copy Sunday when I get back to town.

BTW, I reserve the term "point cloud" to refer
to an arbitary grouping of XYZ data points.

Doug Fortune
http://www.cncKITS.com

http://www.cncKITS.com