Probing

Ray & Others...

I am just about finished my probe switch and have starting
looking into the probing script.

The thought occured to me that maybe it would be a good idea
to spec out a "point cloud" file format.  I think this might be a good idea
since further proccessing of this information into usable g-code may
vary depending on other factors.

In addition, I thought it would be nice to divide the file into two
sections.  "Probe Setup"  and "Aquired Data".
One could then fill out the "Probe Setup"  portion of the file
and then allow a script/program to execute and then fill out
the "Aquired Data" section.  The result would be a single file
describing the entire probing operation.

The first section describes the nature of the probing
setup.  It specifies the region(s?) to probe, some sort of
description of the probe switch/tip.  The "granularity"
of the probing grid etc..

So here's my first shot at it.  Chime in if you think I am
going down the wrong road with this or you wish to make
any suggestions.

BTW, I am assuming a 3-axis machine here.

[Probe Setup]
Units= (in/mm)
TipStyle= (Round, Cylidrical, etc..)
TipDiameter= nn.nn

[Region 0]
Start_x=nn.nnn
Start_y=nn.nnn
Start_z=nn.nnn
Min_x=nn.nnn
Max_x=nn.nnn
Min_y=nn.nnn
Max_y=nn.nnn
Min_z=nn.nnn
Max_z=nn.nnn
Granularity_x=
Granularity_y=
Granularity_z=

Probe_Axis= x,y or z this is the axis of a single pass across the model

Probe_Method= ""back and fourth" or "unidirectional"

Probe_Algorythm= 0
#zero for now, but allows for "smart" probing techniques to be later
#deployed. i.e, interpolation to minimize probe z travel etc..

Probe_Traverse_Speed=
Probe_Z_speed=

[Region 1]
..
..
..

[Region n]
..
..
..

[Aquired Data]
[Region 0]
# The aquired data consist of standard G-code xyz coordinates i.e
ynn.nn ynn.n znn.n
..
..
..