Re: Updating the BDI2.04

Jack
a linux rpm-based system maintain a database (in /var/lib/rpm)
of the files installed, the package they came from, and
various dependencies.

If you  ONLY install files from rpm packages,
and all the rpm packages are well built, and the distributon
starts in a consistant and complete state, rpm files work well.

It seems the old bdi-204 missed this last step.

Unfortunately there are so many different combinations of
hardware and software versions out there its messy.

for a clean, minimal error message upgrade
rpm -Uvh <package>
  for the list of packages in the correct order

on a bdi install that had a clean rpm database should work
with no errors.   Starting from a base with  a holey database will
often look noisy and yucky.

On Thu, Jan 10, 2002 at 08:42:33PM -0500, Jack Ensor wrote:

> I have run through various agonies in trying to get updated.  As
> usual if something is amiss when you are doing something new it leads
> to confusion.
>
> I down loaded rcslib-rtl3_0-2_10_i586.rpm and
> emc-rtl3_0-2_10_i586.rpm.
>
> To install these rpms I issued the command:
>
> rpm -ivh rcslib-rtl3_0-2_10_i586.rpm
>
> and get a message saying failed dependency rtlinux-3.0 is needed
>
> I then do :
>
> rpm -ivh --nodeps rcslib-rtl3_0-2_10_i586.rpm
>
> and get message:
>
> rcslib-rtl3.0-2.10 is already installed

add --force to *really* install it

> Now is this a normal response?  The indications seem to imply there
> is a big problem here.  I ignore it and go on with:

depends on whether the file was installed or not.