Re: EMC and rtai

Hi Ian

First steps are to download the latest EMC sources from sourceforge, get a
virgin 2.4.16 kernel and rtai-24.1.7. I then took the following steps to
compile on a RH7.2 :-
Created a /usr/src/linux-2.4.16 directory for the kernel sources.
Made two symlinks, /usr/src/linux and /usr/src/linux-2.4 both pointing to the
kernel directory.
Deleted the /usr/include/asm and /usr/include/linux directories and created
symlinks of the same names pointing to the coresponding entries in src/linux.
Installed the egcs-6.2-compat & egcs++-6.2-compat packages along with their
dependencies.
Removed the existing gcc and gcc++ binaries in /usr/bin and renamed the egcs
& egcs++.
Followed the instructions for applying the rtai patch.
Did the usual "make menuconfig", "make dep clean etc" followed by running
lilo after editing the lilo.conf.
Rebooted and did the "make menuconfig" in the rtai directory. Cursed when I
found the make failed with some of the lxrt stuff - Went back one step and
removed the offending items in the menuconfig.
moving on to the tests, the b**** thing refused to load any of the rtai
modules. Swore profusely and re-read the documents. Going back to the kernel
config stage, I disabled the Module Version option and went through the
compile stages again.
This time the test did work..... Yippee !!

Now for the fun stuff - Changing to the rcslib directory, skipping the
iterations and curses :-
./buildrcs linux_rtai
./buildrcs rtai
cd ../
./compile

The compile script is a modified generic/install script with the PLAT and
RTPLAT variables explicitly declared.
After a number of emails to Will (thank you for your patience Will), and a
few minor changes to the EMC sources, i finally got it to run.
These changes have been committed to sourceforge, so you do not have to worry
about them.

Have fun - And make shure you disable the power management in XFree86. The
system will crash frrom time to time when the screensaver kicks in.

Regards, Paul.