Bump'n the voltage

> I drive smaller steppers than you have at 30 ipm but I use Gecko 210
> drives with a 50 volt supply.  I also have ballscrews.  I think that the
> trick here is to get the voltage up to around 10x the rated so that the
> motor quickly builds the magnetic fields that it needs.

I'm thinking maybe I could set up some LM317's as constant current
regulators (fixed at 1.2 amps) and then I could run the voltage up.

Did some testing tonight to see how much of hardwood I could
cut in a single pass.  With a 1/4 in router bit I can manage about
3/8 inch depth cut into Cocobola at my fastest speed.
It would be nice to go a little faster in shallower cuts but this will work
for now.

Downloaded Deskam's (www.deskcam.com) DeskEngrave and did
a little sign tonight.   Had to edit thier G-code files to set the Z-depth
(my Z is positive going away from the table, I prefer it this way).  Also
had to insert a G20 at the top to set the units to inches.

This is going to be fun.   Wish I built one of these things years ago.

Of course now I'm thinking of converting the old Atlas lathe over
to EMC, and buying a new metal vertical mill and converting that over....