RE: Kernel woes...!

recompiling a kernel can be quite complicated.  i've done it successfully a
few times, and unsuccessfully about 10 times.  if i remember correctly, the
boot image is dumped into '/' and it needs to be in /boot, then you will
need to manually edit /etc/lilo.conf to point to that boot image.. and also
some kind of map... it's been quite a while right now.  i had found a kernel
howto that walks you through MOST of the steps
just remember to keep a boot floppy handy, and when you edit lilo.conf, ADD
the new kernel, DONT delete the old one, so that if it chokes, you will
still be able choose the working kernel at boot.
i rename the old kernel linux.old and name the new one linux.. i think
the machine i experimented on at home (in storage now... sigh....) was
booting four different kernels, 2.2.12, 2.2.12 SMP, 2.4.1, and 2.4.1-SMP
i never ironed out the bugs in them so different things worked in different
kernels (no sound in 2.2.12, qcad wouldnt' work in 2.4.1, etc...)
have you concidered dual booting it with the BDI to see if you can get it to
work?
---Dave