Re: (re)compiling from source

I tried all excellent tips including these from Ray and Paul below, but I get
the error '-' csh unknown option after the ./buildrcs** command.
It seems that the compile scripts and makefiles only want to run from the
original position.
When I use the copied usr/local/compile I get the extraneous text after**
error messages.
When I use compile within original setting from BDI (in usr/local) it works
fine, but that doesn't help because the altered files are not on the BDI
source.
Any good advice?